Thursday, September 3, 2009

Hardest Day Yet

I know throughout this little adventure that I'm going to have good days and bad days, and that there are some mornings when it's going to be a little harder to just have a Slim Fast shake and not indulge in a bagel or McDonalds Egg McMuffin, but today is the first day that I'm really feeling the struggle. I woke up feeling hunger and even after drinking my Slim Fast shake (like I do every morning), I'm still feeling hungry. What should i do?!?!

I keep 100 calorie snack packs in my work cabinet, along with Nutrigrain bars, and I bring clementine oranges to the office to snack on, but this is the first day that I'm really craving something off the beaten track. I want chocolate, or a muffin, or a cupcake, or something sinful!

Don't worry, I've resisted the craving thus far this morning, but I did break into my can of Diet Coke earlier than normal. Hopefully I will make it to lunch with just a snack of a clementine or maybe trail mix, but it's hard! Does anyone have any suggestions on how to take your mind off this sort of thing when you're just sitting at your desk at work and feel hungry? I'm looking for suggestions now because it's hard!

4 comments:

  1. My hands down favorite naughty tasting but not naughty treat is Fiber One granola bars. They taste like candybars but they're only 140 calories, 4g of fat and have 9g of fiber. They help me beat naughty cravings all the time. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know how you feel! I sit at a desk 40 hours a week, and while I stay on track most days/weeks, I sometimes cannot kick a craving to the curb until I cave. Caving doesn't have to be sinful! I make sure to have a few small treats on-hand every now and then. I bought some 100-cal dark chocolate bars at Trader Joe's because I've been craving sweetness/chocolate over the past few days. Sure, I wanted to eat the whole box yesterday, but you've got to reason with yourself. For me, the more things are 'off-limits', the more I want them (watch out, rebel without a cause here!).

    My advice is to grab yourself a few small treats and induldge in small doses. When you feel yourself fixating, switch gears. Take a walk to the potty. Do a lap around the office. CHUG SOME WATER! Retrain that brain!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds like you need more protein- I know it is weird since you are craving sugar, but the protein will keep you from getting hungry a lot longer. Try eggs for breakfast.

    Your slimfast could be triggering your sweet cravings. Sometimes having something sweet in the morning (for me at least) makes me crave sugar more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Drink more water than normal...it actually makes you feel more full as do water rich foods like apples. If you don't do water...consider getting some of those crystal light single serving packets for water bottles...I believe they're 5 calories, but they taste awesome! As far as snacks...if you crave pastries...try apple cinnamon rice cakes only 50 calories so not too bad, but better than a muffin.

    ReplyDelete