Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Fear Factor: Stepping on the Scale

I used to weigh myself all the time. Even though I was gaining weight, I didn't feel any particular fear about stepping on the scale and seeing the numbers climb. A few months ago, however, I stopped stepping on the scale and the thought of watching those numbers land on a high denomination sent my nerves into a tailspin.

When I decided to start doing this I had to really force myself to step on the scale and take note of what I weighed at my largest. When I stared down and saw 228.6 I was devastated, but that was enough motivation to kick start me going in the new direction.

Now I step on the scale every day and the fear is gone. I know that on some days I will see an increase in numbers, whether it be by a couple of ounces or even a couple of pounds, but I've put my mind enough at ease to truly understand that it's part of the process. When I see something I don't like, yes i hate the scale, but I use that as motivation and energy to change what I didn't like. Yesterday I was up almost a pound from the day before, but I ate great and today I saw more than a pound fall off! It's an up and down process.

The scale isn't the enemy on this journey, believe it or not. Neither is the food that tempts me, but instead it's myself. I am my own worst enemy and best friend because I am the only one who can truly control the decisions I make.

So, next time you're afraid to step on the scale, just take a deep breath and do it. If you see something great then congratulate yourself and use that to keep going, and if you see something negative then don't get angry, but instead use that to push you further.

1 comment:

  1. love this post! talk about feel-good logic :) the scale is nothing to fear, it tells the truth, and we simply need to use that to our advantage, no matter what it tells us. Afterall, it's just a number :) who's scared of a number? not me!

    ReplyDelete