Friday, September 4, 2009

Why Can't You Lose Weight?

Every week I post a new question on the poll to the right of my blog. There's nothing scientific about it at all, I simply think of something to ask and allow people to answer just to see the responses and relate them to my own answers. So, I figured that the only fair thing to do is to also write something about the question, the responses and how it relates to me.

Last week, for the first poll question, I asked, "What's your biggest problem with trying to lose weight?" I offered four specific options for answers, and here were the results:
I don't know how - 8%
Nothing I've tried works - 25%
I've gone too far already - 25%
I'm not motivated - 41%

The reason I chose these answers is because at some point or another I have felt all of them. I've tried various diets including Weight Watchers and Nutrisystem, I kept gaining and gaining weight and felt like I had gone over the other side of the cliff and had no way to return, and overall, I simply didn't know how. I said before in a blog that I needed to reach a breaking point, and for me that meant that I needed to find something that motivated me. It wasn't until about two weeks ago that I became motivated.

I know everyone was only allowed to choose one answer, but I'd be willing to bet that most people could select more than one of these options. The good thing about each of these options is that they aren't definitive ends to the weight loss problem, they are just the beginning. If you haven't found something that works, figure out what your lifestyle is like and create something that works for you. Who cares if 1,001 people have been successful using this diet pill, and another program just got their one millionth customer? Weight loss is a sensitive and personal journey, so why not make the process sensitive and personal too?

Amanda showed me that loving my iPhone isn't a horrible thing because it can be the center of my program! Nothing worked for me because I wasn't interested in all the other programs, so I created this with the help of Amanda and it's working. I use my iPhone, which I'm on a lot anyway, to watch calories and fat, and track my goals. I've worked my program into my life instead of working my life into a program. And that, right there, that last sentence is what it's all about.

No comments:

Post a Comment