Tuesday, September 29, 2009

The Clothing Issue

Last week my mom asked about clothes. She asked, "When can I expect to drop a size?" My answer for her was simple and extremely honest, "I have no idea."

Everyone trying to lose weight, and/or successfully losing weight is different. No matter what's being eaten, how much exercise is involved, etc., where the body loses the fat from first changes from person to person. My mom commented that she thinks she's losing the weight in her face and chest first, but not where she wants it gone the most -- her stomach. So, I thought about it for a few minutes, and I think I'm actually lucky because I'm losing it from my stomach and sides right off the bat.

Today is a good day to talk about this topic for me because last night I got inspired enough to try on a LBD (little black dress) that I bought when I first moved here two years ago. I have never worn it out in public, and I quickly outgrew it since I put on weight like I was stocking up for an Alaskan winter. So, last night I went into the closet, pulled out the dress and shimmied into it. I was floored to find out that it actually fit. Not only did it fit, but it looks pretty darn cute and it feels like an even better fit than I remember from when I first bought it. Whether that last part is true or not, who knows. I even brought Mike into the closet with me in case I needed someone to help wrestle me out of a too-tight piece of clothing.

Since the dress fit so great last night, I decided to take what I thought was a risk and where it to work with dressy sandals and a sweater. Turns out it looks pretty good because I've already received three compliments and it's only 8:30 a.m.!

So, my entire point with this story about the dress is that even just a little change (16 pounds so far for me) can have a huge impact on how clothes hang on your body. I still have a gut, and love handles, and what I consider to be a huge butt, but my pants aren't too snug around the waist, shirts are falling straight without clinging and I fit into that LBD! But then again, maybe it isn't that 16 pounds changed how clothes look on me, but maybe I'm gaining just a little bit of confidence and I'm changing how I view myself. Could that be it? Could confidence be the main factor? I guess only time will tell!

5 comments:

  1. you drop weight the same as you put it on- for instance if the last 10 pounds went to your hips, that's where you will lose it from first.

    It's hard to remember the order you put weight on, but I know that my weight came off my belly first. I have a feeling that the next few pounds will come off my shoulders/ neck area- b/c I look at pics of myself at 155 and my shoulders /neck looks thinner.

    Good job about the dress! It's nice to have new/old clothes come back to you! In no time you will be swimming in that same dress.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh- and you need to make your pictures bigger!!! I cant click on them to enlarge...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do that on purpose, I don't want jumbo photos of me in peoples living rooms!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Seriously I wanna see a larger pic of the shrinking you! :) Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Keep it up Beth you're doing great!

    ReplyDelete