Thursday, September 24, 2009

I Turned the Car Around

I don't have anything profound to say today, but I did want to share with everyone that I'm proud of my actions. Yesterday was a difficult day for me food-wise because I was craving pasta and pizza and carbs like you wouldn't believe. I wanted nothing more than to go to Olive Garden and devour the Garlic Herb Chicken Con Broccoli or have dinner at BJs and have the Parmesan chicken pasta. I felt like I needed it. I even spent a fair amount of time rationalizing the decision to be "naughty" at dinner by saying I've been great for more than a month, I can work it off tomorrow etc. etc.

When Mike called on his way home from work last night we talked about what to have for dinner. The conclusion we came to? Let's go to BJs for an early dinner since it's just down the road. The plan was that I would meet him there, so I got ready, hopped in my little BMW and started driving out of the neighborhood. I didn't even make it to the main road before I had second thoughts and guilt about heading to BJs with the intention of scarfing down Parmesan pasta. Not only was it pasta, I thought, but it's lathered in creamy Parmesan sauce and served with garlic crustinis. Yum!

I must have sat at the stop sign for more than a minute with my head in the clouds and the angel and devils on my shoulders battling out the pros and cons of meeting Mike at the restaurant or turning around and going home. Thankfully no car ever came up behind me otherwise I would have looked like a lunatic. I eventually came to the decision I needed to make and I called Mike. I told him to head home instead of heading to the restaurant. When I hung up with him I whipped a u-turn and headed back on the exact path I had just driven not 2 minutes before. When I pulled into the garage and went inside, the dogs were ecstatic to see me so soon, like they thought I had left forever. It was at that point that I realized just how pinnacle a moment I just had. I had made the decision to give in to temptation, then managed to work my way out of it in order to make better decisions.

I rarely say I'm proud of myself, and if anyone has a low self-esteem, it's me, but last night as I ate something much healthier than that delicious parmesan pasta, I gave myself a little pat on the back and remembered that once I've eaten and I'm full, that pasta doesnt even sound that great anyway.

1 comment:

  1. Wow- that is incredible -I dont know if I could do that. you are doing really well Beth- keep up with it.

    ReplyDelete