Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Debbie Downer

Still going strong! I reached a new milestone this morning when my scale said something less than 215 lbs for the first time in a long time! Today I am officially at 214.4 and it feels fantastic. Unfortunately, however, I bought a couple of new shirts within the last 8 weeks or so and now they look big. What a waste. I'd rather have the weight loss than the new shirts anyway.

My mom and I email back and forth fairly often about the random stuff, but also about our personal weight loss journeys. She's taking part in a program offered through her work where they weigh in each Thursday. We talk about what we're eating and how we're exercising along with some of the more difficult aspects of dieting. In a recent email she brought up a good point, how to not be Debbie Downer when eating out regularly with friends who either don't need to or aren't dieting.

I think it's definitely something that every dieter has thought about, and if not, then it's something that should be given some thought. There's a fine line between sticking to your wise diet choices and being overbearing on the people you're with. I've been with people who are trying to lose weight or are on the latest trendy diet fad and all they do is criticize what I'm eating and how that's going to affect me. I think that's just obnoxious to tell you the truth. It's one thing to analyze your own decisions and maybe even share them with others when asked, but it's a completely outrageous thing to thrust your decisions on others or to expect the people you're with to adopt the same principles.

I've found with people I hang around with that when my new eating habits come up that it's more of a conversation starter than anything else. Since I used to eat whatever I want, and now I order the lean turkey wrap or a salad, some of my friends were confused. I've been able to take that opportunity to explain what I'm doing and why, but then to drop it at that. I've had people ask me questions and want to go into more detail, but others don't say a word so it's the perfect indication to just move on. I think one of the hardest parts is to not be the downer when selecting the place to eat. I know it's important for anyone trying to lose weight to have healthy choices available to them at a restaurant, but that doesn't mean for every meal you have to drag the group to Panera, Sweet Tomatoes or Whole Foods. Whether you believe it or not, there ARE healthier options everywhere. Worst comes to worse, if I end up somewhere without a healthy meal, then I order a side salad and supplement the meal when I get home. That's easier than blowing my diet, or complaining to my companions about where we're headed.

So here are a couple tips for people when heading out with friends on a regular basis:

1. Let them choose the restaurant, then use the internet or available nutrition guides to cater your diet to their decision.

2. When in doubt, ask for a side salad with low fat, or low cal dressing or something of that nature and supplement it with something healthier at home.

3. If nothing else works, go with the flow and enjoy a meal even if it's less than healthy. Just know you'll have to do a checks and balance with that meal later either with what you eat for the next couple of meals or with your exercise.

It all balances out, and quite frankly, a little indulgence here and there never hurt anyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment