Wednesday, August 26, 2009

"It's About Not Hating Yourself"

Yesterday I wrote this on Twitter: @losingmythighs everyone who is trying to lose weight hates their scale. It's about not hating yourself!

This morning I stepped on the scale and found that instead of the numbers decreasing, they increased a little bit. I gained .6 pounds to reach 222 again, a number I had hoped I had left behind already. I'm not going to lie, I was discouraged and even angry a little bit, especially since I'm only 5 days or so into this new journey. It was after a little bit of self-pity and evaluation (I ate less than my allotted calories yesterday, but didn't make it to the gym) that I remembered what I said to a Twitter friend after she posted "I hate my scale."

I told her and completely believe that it's not so much about worrying about the numbers on the scale, but about feeling better and being happy with yourself. I can easily say that I "hate" myself due to my weight and the way I look. I fight the depressed feelings daily over my aesthetic insecurities. I'm lucky enough to have family, friends and a fiance who don't make looks a priority and constantly remind me how much they love me regardless of my fluctuating weight.

I think in this journey it's extremely important to remember that it's an up and down progress, literally. Amanda, my inspiration, texted me this morning to remind me about water weight and that sometimes I'm going to retain it more than others. Tomorrow I could step on the scale after following my allotted calories and exercise regime and have dropped a whole pound which would more than make up for my .6 lb gain. It's a back and forth progress that takes time. I have time, we all have time, and that's why I'm facing this weight loss challenge with a healthy vision. I'm not getting liposuction, going on harsh fad diets or starving myself. For me, it's not only about losing weight so I feel like I look better, but it's about actually BEING better. My goal may be to reach 150 lbs, but my real goal is to be happy with myself. I think that is far more important.

6 comments:

  1. It so hard. If we had another monitor we could use everyday instead of the scale that would be great. But the other ones- clothes fitting looser, measurements going down, etc. take even longer to reflect progress. UGH!!! just don't get discouraged, I m really trying not to...

    That's what always held me back in the past...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know it can be tuff but I'm telling you... it's not a matter of NUMBERS.. it's a matter of feeling. If you are FEELING healthy, making healthy choices, the numbers will follow. In the end... if you eat healthy, make healthy choices, get moving, etc. those numbers HAVE to follow. Don't make it a battle.. make it a life choice.

    You can do it with us together! Don't let NUMBERS bring you down!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why weigh yourself everyday?? I would go insane. I don't own a scale so that I only weigh myself once a week when I visit my mom's house. I admire what you're doing - bearing your soul.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What I have found is that weighing myself is not so much about nit-picking about the weight, but to keep me accountable for my eating & exercise habits. Seeing that miniscule increase makes me want to hit the gym this afternoon, when before I may have had to convince myself to go workout.

    Also, thank you, to everyone, who's complimented me on my blog and courage. I hope I can inspire others too! If you don't want to write a public comment, feel free to e-mail me at the contact info listed in the right column.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm proud of you and I know you can make this life change. Remember I am always here if you need me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just a quick note, B.
    These might be things that you already know:

    It's common to drop some quick weight when you change eating habits/intake--this is usually water loss. So don't get discouraged if, in the future, loss slows a little.

    And, day to day weighing is good for accountability, but large fluctuations will be determined by a large number of things, outside of actual fat loss. Keep in mind that a pound of fat contains 3500 calories--hence an increase of 0.6 lbs after a day in which you kept on track has little to do with caloric intake the day before.

    Finally, high five.

    ReplyDelete