Monday, August 31, 2009

Here Comes Week 2

Well, I survived my first week of this weight loss journey, and as of this morning, I have lost 8 pounds. Not bad for one week's worth of work! I feel like a lot of little things have changed in my day-to-day routine, but mostly it feels like a lot has changed because I'm not eating ALL THE TIME. I'm what you would call an emotional eater, and I eat my stress away, so whenever I was upset, angry, stressed, exuberant, happy or just plain bored, I would eat. I'm not doing that anymore, and that is the biggest difference.

I've taken to telling Mike (my fiance) what I weigh each day and how I feel. Not like a formal check-in, but more of a conversation in passing that usually goes something like this, "hey hunny, I'm up a few ounces today," or "today I stayed the same," or "yay, I lost a pound!" Like the good husband-to-be that he is, he always responds in the stereotypical appropriate way. If I lost weight he congratulates me. If I stayed the same he also congratulates me and says it's part of the process, and if I gain weight he offers words of encouragement and compliments my overall hard work. Good man.

On Sunday, however, I realized that he must be treading lightly to make sure he doesn't insult the situation. We were both concentrating on other things when I told him that I stayed the same weight as Saturday. He then responded with, "That's great!" Getting distracting by other things, I didn't respond at all to his comment and that confused him; it made him think that I didn't think staying the same weight was a good thing. I was the one who goofed up that situation and had to back-peddle. It was then that I realized for myself, and explained to him that it's a great day when I stay the same weight, it's an okay day when I gain an ounce or two, and it's the best day of all when I lose some weight.

Gaining a few ounces is part of this process. There is nothing, I mean nothing, I can do in order to avoid gaining a few ounces here and there because the body fluctuates with what you eat, it changes based on stress levels and there's also good-ole water weight. For instance, I gained four ounces from yesterday to today, but I'm not upset over it in the least. I weigh myself everyday so I have even more motivation to keep going! I may have gained four ounces for whatever reason, but now I'm pumped to get to the gym after work and have a good workout! It's a part of this cycle.

So, how did the weekend go? The weekend went fantastic! I was able to relax, spend time with Mike, hang out with some of my closest friends, and keep my diet in check. And, by the way, I was able to fit into a pair of capri pants (jeans that aren't stretch!) that I haven't been able to wear since last fall! What more can I ask for?

1 comment: