Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Immobilized

If you're my friend on Facebook, follower on Twitter or an actual acquaintance in real life then you're well aware that I had an accident at work on Sunday.

Here's a quick recap: while taking trash from the store to the dumpster out back I fell down a small flight of stairs. With a combination of strong winds and the size of the boxes I was carrying, I fell hard on my ankle and managed to bump every limb on the way down!

Thanks to the quick response and diligence of my two coworkers, I was on my way to the hospital with my husband for xrays in practically no time at all. Xrays were taken of my head, elbow and ankle, and thank goodness there were no breaks! The most painful of all of them, my ankle, was the spot to be worried about. The doctor told me it was a bad sprain and prescribed me a few days completely off my feet (yeah right), and some pain medication. That being said, I went from having a renewed motivation for losing weight and being active to being a couch potato. Bummer.

I warned my husband this would happen, and it happened very quickly since the accident -- I'm going stir crazy! I don't handle days off at home all that well normally since I like to keep moving and struggle relaxing, so being forced to sit at home for several days on end and NOT meander around the house is excruciating! I've already managed to ditch the crutches so I can hop on one leg and crawl up and down the stairs. I'm also considering pulling out my old pilates DVD so I can at least get a little bit of exercise without disrupting the progress on my ankle (it's done almost entirely sitting and lying down). The other physical effects of the fall include a very sore right arm with a cut and bruise on the elbow; a large welt and bruise on my left shin; two sore underarms caused by crutches and a continual headache. Is it May yet? I'm sure I'll be 100% by May. Yeah, I want it to be May, let's just skip the whole month of April for good measure.

Here's what this unfortunate incident has done to my diet:
- I am not only not going to the gym or exercising, but I'm not walking practically at all so burning just regular daily calories isn't happening.
- I went from being down 2 lbs on my new journey to being up .8 lbs (back to 209 it is).
- I'm barely cooking which means eating a bit less healthy because standing on one leg for a long period of time is exhausting.

Here are my goals for the next few days of immobilization:
- Exercise at home: do the pilates video or do crunches, etc. Focus on things that won't aggravate my ankle.
- Stick to my calorie-restricted diet.
- Blog: Sharing my story with you and getting feedback always helps me stay on track and look forward instead of backward.

So that's my plan. Any suggestions for me, the newfound invalid? I can't wait for the next few days to pass so I'm back on my feet and back to a normal routine.

2 comments:

  1. Sorry about your mishap. Don't over do it! If you do, you'll probably be on your back longer than you want to. I'm also a fidget and like to do stuff. Watch some shows you've never seen, play some computer games, get your DH to pull out some dresser or night stand drawers and set them beside you so you can clean them (mine are always jammed full with too much stuff!). Start a journal, organize some pictures. There's lots of stuff to do!! Happy healing!

    Tina

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the input Tina! I never thought about getting some good organization done, that's an amazing idea!

    ReplyDelete