Friday, November 13, 2009

The Seasons Are A Changing

I can tell that the seasons have officially shifted in Las Vegas. It took a little longer than normal for the heat of summer to wear off and the chill of fall to arrive, but alas, it is finally here. Just two weeks ago we hit temperatures in the low nineties and now we're happily resting securely in the 60s. This is the weather I love. However, this weather does horrible things for my body and my diet!

I can always tell when the weather is officially shifting form season to season. My skin gets a little dry and even peels, and my appetite switches from craving refreshing items like fresh fruit and turkey wraps to mashed potatoes, hot dish and steak.

Considering last night I wanted a New York strip, mashed potatoes and bread, I'm thinking my body has recognized it's want for foods with great warming qualities. However, I think it's less about warming the body and more about warming the soul --- providing that comforting sensation during the holiday season and cold months. I am from the upper Midwest after all and haven't been out of that region for very long.

Now, have no fear, I did not give in to my temptations last night, but I know these next few months will be difficult because "winter foods" are always higher in carbs, higher in fat and higher in calories. I'm really going to need to train myself to still want low-cal turkey wraps and fresh veggies instead of all the fattening goodness --- and that's not even touching on the fact that Christmas cookie season is right around the corner!!!

Well, this entire process is about ups and downs and overcoming the never-ending challenges. This is just the latest challenge to take head-on and push through . I'm sure I'll have something new to survive in the spring when the weather changes from cold to warm.

2 comments:

  1. Try squash! Cooked acorn squash has those warming effects with out the calories. I also like Stewed Tomatoes or tomato soup for the same reasons.

    Last year I discovered the power of the crock pot for making veggie soups, chicken noodle (with whole wheat pasta) and vegetarian chili. Also Progresso makes WW approved low cal soups..

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE squash, and it's soooo good for us. I also love egg plant parmesan, and I roast the egg plant instead of frying it....and it's sooooo good.

    I would guess that you'll find foods that are more "winter" even if it just takes some time. :) I'll be doing the same. :)

    ReplyDelete