Monday, October 19, 2009

A Changing Perspective

"I want to see myself as beautiful at the wedding."

Almost a year ago, Mike snuck a diamond ring into his luggage when we flew from Nevada to Minnesota. While I was showering on Christmas morning he woke up, wrapped the present, addressed it from Santa Claus and placed it under the tree with all of the other gifts from my parents, sister, family members and of course Santa. When I hopped out of the shower and returned to our room to wake him up, he acted as though he had slept the entire time, and I had no clue that he was actually awake.

Not two hours later, Mike got down on one knee in front of my mom, dad, sister and brother-in-law and said, "Beth, I love you more than anything and I can't wait to spend the rest of my life with you. Will you marry me?" To my mother's shock and excitement, her youngest daughter was engaged to be married, the trick was, my dad was in on it the whole time. To be honest, it was perfect. Family is so important for both of us and being able to share that moment with my family, then immediately with my extended family, and then the next day with Mike's family was perfect. The wedding planning started immediately, and as Mike left Minnesota, I stayed behind to book the church and the reception location. I finally had some time to myself and that's when my mind ran wild. I distinctly remember saying to myself while lying in bed one night when I was still in Minnesota, "Now if only I could change. I want to see myself as beautiful at the wedding."

From that moment, I was on a mission. I started a new skin treatment, looked for the perfect diet and swore up and down that I would be my ideal weight, have sparkling white teeth and a glowing tan on June 26, 2010 when I walk down the aisle in my gorgeous white dress and join hands with Mike. That was how it was going to work.

As of right now, we have 8 months until our wedding. My skin isn't perfect and my teeth aren't sparkling. Hell, I'm no where near that "ideal weight" I swore I'd reach eight months ago, but something is different. I had a few moments to myself yesterday and I spent them thinking about our impending nuptials. I have the most beautiful dress, an amazing groom and the perfect wedding party. We've picked a great location, and we've completed almost all of the requirements to get married in the Catholic Church. My wedding planner even says that we're ahead of the game, and that for a bride I have quite the level head. As I tried to picture our wedding day eight months from now, the same thoughts I had last December returned to my head, but this time I said, "I just wanted to see my self as beautiful on my wedding day."

I'm no longer worrying about how I will perceive myself on June 26, 2010. It may have taken me seven months to truly get on the right track for losing weight and gaining confidence, but I got there. More and more I look in the mirror and actually tell myself that I look good in that outfit, or today I look slim. I'm not worried that on my wedding day I'm going to feel like I look fat, or I'm going to be upset if I weigh 175 lbs instead of 150 lbs. because none of this has actually been the point. The entire point of my attempt at a transformation has actually been to change my perspective of myself. I didn't realize this until yesterday. I'm trying to change my body, yes, but I'm trying to change it because I need to change the way I view myself. What a strange thing to realize. I guess it's true what they say about just about everything, 75% mental, 25% physical.

2 comments:

  1. Another thing to remember is that Mike loves right now. As is. I'm sure he appreciates the physical changes, but that is not necessarily what the love that you two share is about. It is more than that. No matter what, you will be gorgeous come your wedding day. Remember that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is no "perfect" in this world sweetie. You enjoy what you have, make yourself feel good, enjoy a man that loves you and make each other happy. Get fit, get healthy, but no matter how fit, trim & healthy you get you will never be perfect. There is nobody out there that is.. even the "top models" have many flaws. That's being human.

    You deserve to love yourself just as you are, just as you change for the better, just as you begin your life together. You are right, it is at LEAST 75% mental... I am so in love with a man that is far from "perfect" in body & looks... and he is so in love with me... also far from "perfect" in body & looks... but the end result is... neither of us could ever look at anyone else and see a more perfect person in our eyes.

    THAT is what it's about.... be happy with your lifestyle. Take care of yourself. The weight will come off as you change your lifestyle & if it doesn't... I'd bet anything your love will maintain even if your weight doesn't. The only bad part is... staying unhealthy will most likely make your life more miserable physically... so get out there and take care of those bodies (both of you) and feel great together!
    My Blog - One Day At A Time (as seen in Oct.19th Edition of Woman's World Magazine)

    ReplyDelete