Sunday, April 17, 2011

The Wizard Says to Jog

I tried running around the neighborhood once. I guess you could say I went "jogging" and failed miserably; at least I looked the part though. Before heading out for my "nightly run" (it was a tradition I was attempting to start), I geared up with nice 3/4 length running pants, a dry-fit Nike top, cross-trainers and my handy-iPhone tuned to my favorite exercise mix -- I must have looked like I was planning on running a marathon. I think I even stopped right outside my front door to stretch a little bit, after all, I wouldn't want to cramp up, right?

With good intentions and motivation boiling over inside of me, I took the first few steps away from my house and felt amazing. A few more paces passed and I could literally feel the burning sensation growing in my calfs. After what seemed like an eternity (just past the first turn off my street), I started feeling winded and really, really tired. It was at that moment, the intersection of Red Passion and Sole Addiction (yes, those are real street names) that I realized that if I left the neighborhood intending on jogging, that I'd probably need my husband to come pick me up. So instead of turning the corner onto Red Passion and exiting our neighborhood, I kept going straight. Sole Addiction curved onto another road and that turned into another and eventually I made a square and ended up on my own doorstep. I listened to less than two songs on my iPhone and made it back before the next commercial break started during the movie my husband was watching.

Now before you start thinking that I ran super fast ... I didn't. I barely ran at all. Back at the corner where I had my epiphany, I stopped jogging and started power walking. I walked until I could see my house and then jogged the rest of the way. I was already embarrassed enough that I wasn't going on a long, soul-searching run, but I told myself that there was no way in hell I could arrive on the front lawn walking. And I didn't.

I haven't tried running since. I love the treadmill at the gym, but I mostly walk briskly or switch to the elliptical or stairs for cardio. I've never been able to run on the treadmill and not feel like a giant horse's ass. I mean with every thud of my feet I feel like the people on the floor below me at LVAC can hear my paces.

It turns out, however, that the Wizard is the same way. She's never been much of a runner either and she doesn't like running on the treadmill at the gym. She wasn't a jogger ... until now. She said she's dropped more than a couple handfuls of pounds since she started sporadically jogging. She doesn't go out daily, but she goes out enough to keep into the habit of it and even encourage herself to do it more. Like me, though, after a certain length it gets hard and so she does what I'm calling milestone jogging. When she jogs (most frequently with a friend) she starts jogging and sets a milestone or a goal to reach. For instance, "let's jog to the third lamppost or the tree on the far side of the field." If she reaches that milestone and has more gusto in her, then they keep jogging. If not, they slow down to a brisk walk and then look for another milestone to reach. She said it's really become something she enjoys and seeing pounds actually drop away is even more encouraging. In her own words, "I'm really an outside jogger; I don't like running on the treadmill so much."

Maybe it's a method I could try too? I've honestly never been a fan of running, even when I was a three-sport athlete. I mean, there's a reason you never saw me attempt to try out for track & field or cross-country. But that doesn't mean that some form of jogging or running couldn't work for me, right?

Anyone out there a habitual runner? Any tips for a newbie? I've read the "Couch to 5K" plan and even started the process but I didn't like having to time myself. Having to keep track of seconds or minutes reminded me of the things I dislike about the treadmill. On a treadmill I constantly watch the clock, and even when I cover the clock I keep track of my time on other people's treadmill timers. I guess this "milestone jogging" is similar to the interval running in the "Couch to 5k" program, but without counting seconds. I think I definitely want to try it.... what's the worst that could happen anyway? I find out I don't like running and don't do it? Oh wait, I'm already being that lazy. I guess there's only upsides from here!

1 comment:

  1. I have NEVER been a runner, or even a sporadic jogger, until recently. Last September, I asked my husband to sign up with me to run the 5K race that's part of the marathon weekend here in Myrtle Beach, and he agreed. At that point, he didn't run, he did some several-mile walks, as did I. Having someone to encourage you and kick you in the butt to get outside and moving really helps. We figured out pretty quickly that our paces weren't the same, but we'd go run around this lake/pond near us at the same time, so we could always see each other. So--having a goal, like a 5K, is a great thing. If you told me 2 years ago I'd participate in a 5K, I'd have laughed in your face. Don't feel like you have to run the whole thing the first time you do it; my goal for my first 5K was just to show up and do the best I could. I totally recommend you sign up for a local 5K, and have your hubs do it with you! Even if you walked/jogged it, like I did, you'll feel great! And then you'll think, "Hey...I didn't collapse or die...this isn't as awful or hard as I thought...I can totally do this again!"

    I've seen a Couch to 5K plan before, and I know it's been a great plan for many people. But I agree with you--tracking minutes/seconds for jogging and running is too much for me. I need to put all my energy into just putting one foot in front of the other, and not keep looking at my watch (which, for me, just makes the whole process worse).

    I'd suggest you start small. Use Google Maps or mapmyrun.com, or a similar tool, to help you figure out distances around your neighborhood. Or find a track at a fitness center or a school near you. For the first few times, do what you can, but push yourself a bit. You might even have to peptalk yourself out loud. My hubs and I do it all the time when we run. Have to. We're not natural runners. We've got to work at it. When I first started running, I thought, "Who am I to be jogging out here? When have I ever run anywhere, except when I absolutely had to?" But I got over it. No matter how much you do, try to do just a little more next time. Just a bit. Then keep that distance for another run. Then do a little bit more. All you're looking to do is to improve a little each time.

    It took me about 5 times at a 1.1-mile loop to do the whole loop once without stopping, and I could have cried I was so happy. It did not come easy. But I was so proud of myself. I think Congress should have passed an official "GO TEAM SARAH" act, I felt so good.

    I've learned you HAVE to take time to stretch before and after. Jillian Michaels says you shouldn't do a ton of static stretches before a workout; you should do things like roll your waist around, your knees around, arm windmills, jumping jacks, etc. I've also learned you HAVE to just find a pace that works for you. This is the only way you'll have the stamina and endurance to do more than run around the block.

    Start small. It'll take time to build up jogging time/distance. Find a goal to work toward, like a 5K, something to be accountable to. Find a buddy, or buddies, to walk/jog with. Find your pace, and make a sweet mix on your iPod :o)

    ReplyDelete